On the 12th August 2020 the CEE Bill Alliance launched the campaign for the Climate and Ecological Emergency (CEE) bill. This is a Private Members’ Bill, and taking it through parliament will be a hard-fought process but it has been done before with major climate legislation. This is an alliance bill that has been written by scientists, lawyers and activists; it is gathering support from a broad range of campaign groups, businesses, charities and individuals. The bill has the potential to become the most significant move forward since the Climate Change Act 2008.
This is our video response in support of the bill:
Sorry about the sound quality – it was a windy day and we’re amateurs!
The Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill calls for:
- the UK to make and enact a serious plan. This means dealing with our real fair share of emissions so that we don’t go over critical global rises in temperature
- our entire carbon footprint be taken into account (in the UK and overseas)
- the protection and conservation of nature here and overseas along supply chains, recognising the damage we cause through the goods we consume
- those in power not to depend on technology to save the day, which is used as an excuse to carry on polluting as usual
- ordinary people to have a real say on the way forward in a citizens’ assembly with bite
Here is a link to their website and a short video on this subject: https://www.ceebill.uk/ Ninety-eight MPs support the bill, including Layla Moran, but this is not enough MPs to get the bill discussed in parliament. The full list can be viewed at https://www.ceebill.uk/ allies_and_supporters